Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Anyone out there?

If the Shell Shack blog still has any faithful readers out there, we apologize for our lack of postings lately. Life has been busy at the Shell Shack: Charity graduates from her Master's in Counseling program this Saturday, Heather took her boards for her RN last Friday, and I made it through student teaching two weeks ago and have been completing last minute projects and filling out teaching applications for next year. Don't worry, the Shell Shack blog will be lit up once again with this summer. So keep checking back, and while you wait, enjoy this nugget I found while researching schools I am applying to.

Regulations for Creston Teachers, circa 1872...
1. Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys, and trim wicks.

2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and scuttle of coal for the day's sessions.

3. Make your pens carefully: you may whittle nibs to the individual taste of pupils.

4. Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings if they go to church regularly. After 10 hours in school, the teachers spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.

5. Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.

6. Each teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden on society.

7. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.

8. The teacher who performs his labors faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of 25 cents per week in his pay, providing the Board of Education approves.

I didn't know shaves in barber shops were suspicious- I will be on guard for those kinds of men from now on. But seriosly, even though I dreamed of being Anne of Green Gables in her teaching days, this makes me thankful I am a circa 2008 teacher!

1 comment:

Eileen said...

oh, my Sweetie, I just read your awesome poem and am humbled by your honors...

I am truly the most blessed Mom on the planet. I don't care what any of the other ones say!

MOM