Thursday, June 26, 2008

Stand Up Paddle Surfing--my latest adventure

It's been about three months since I first laid eyes on this fascinating concept known as Stand Up Paddle Surfing! I saw a few random pics in People Magazine of celebrities trying it out in Hawaii followed by one sighting of a SUPer in Avila Beach. In typical "Charity" fashion, I was completely enamored with the idea and quickly began my quest for info--anything I could find on the web, blogs and any other SUP resources to get the scoop on this intriguing new ocean activity. I've spent the last 3 months telling my friends about how much I wanted to try it. But one can only talk about doing something for so long before everyone begins to wonder if it will ever happen! Finally, I decided to put my newfound free time (after graduating) to good use--I decided to try it out!

Went to Santa Barbara last weekend and tried out my first SUPBoard with Surfing Sports owner, AKA "Wardog". I talked with him quite a bit before I even tried a board. My biggest worry was if I would have the ability to balance on the board, but Wardog assured me that he had just the right board for me. And much to my surprise, he did. After plunging into the water and hoisting myself onto the board, I simply paddled out to calm water on my knees and followed the simple instructions to stand up. IT WAS NO PROBLEM! Balancing on the board was much easier than I expected and I had a blast paddling around from the very start. After about an hour of paddling, I was sold and knew that I wanted to get a board.
So I did! A 10'6'' beauty....

I still need to think of a name for her. Got any ideas?

My first "test drive" in Avila Beach....


Looking back on the week, I've been reflecting on the process of finding this new hobby and realized a key lesson for my personal growth...
I never want to lose the ability/drive to try new things and dive into challenges that might seem ridiculous...even to my closest friends. I'm learning that change and challenge is a good thing in my life and God has used it to build a character of openness, adventure and risk-taking. Ultimately, I believe and hope that He uses even these new (and seemingly simple) interests in my life for his Glory and purposes.

2 comments:

Linda Z said...

That looks pretty sweet! I've never even heard of paddle boarding before, but it looks pretty fun! It kind of looks like you're walking on water! I love that you want to name it... I'm currently trying to think of a name for my camera. Is that weird?

Anyway, I think you should name it Leilani. ;^)

Eileen said...

Momma says:
Swim with the dolphins, stay away from the sea otters...

Have fun---you do look so COOL out there, if I must say so.

Lotsa love