Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Life Coach

My latest "interest" (i.e. fettish, intrique, obsession) is exploring the idea of being a "Life Coach". I first heard about it in one of my counseling classes a year ago and it's been vying for my attention ever since. It's the latest rage, it's all over the news and it's definitely growing in popularity!

What's a "Life Coach"??? It's someone who coaches/advises you on anything you want--anything from which onions to buy at the grocery store... to where to take your next vacation... to how to make time for your husband...to how to be a better friend. Some life coaches have credentials/degrees/experience in counseling or psychology, but others just claim to know how to be good coaches. There is no professional requirement and apparently the population seeking life coaches doesn't necessarily want the oh-so-qualified psychologist, counselor, shrink, priest, or even best friend to tell them what to do. They just want a coach to help them along with those goals in life that seem unattainable--either because they are pushed aside, undefined, forgotten, or flat out ignored!

Get a Life Coach and you basically get to ask for advice on anything you've got on your mind. You pay a pretty penny per hour....but you get a listening ear, practical advice, intentional accountability and supposedly effective results.

So...I realize that I sound a tinge scepticle amidst all of my raving...but I actually LOVE this idea!

My big question: How do I get to BE a life coach?

Call me crazy, but I've already started thinking about my "Life Coach" philosophy of practice:
*Reflection
*Practical Goal-Setting
*Baby Steps (cliche, I know)
*More Reflection
*Accountability/Reflection on attainment of goals
*Celebration of Accomplishments
*Empowerment...who needs a life coach, anyway??? Show people how to get "free" life coaching. (i.e. GOD, Good Friends, Wise Colleagues, Family, books, etc....)

I’m so infatuated with this, I think I might do some more formal research. If YOU hear any news or see any articles on this issue, let me know!

Here’s some interesting links:
http://www.findyourcoach.com/
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-smallbiz11oct11,1,4946303.column
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_coaching

DISCLAIMER: I love my current job, so this is no indication of a career change...but perhaps a career addition somewhere down the road!

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Let me know if I am totally misundertanding the true definition and function of a "life-coach" but it sounds to me like the things you are describing are the things that everyone would define as a "true friend." I'm sure life coaches are effective at helping people reach their goals and might be more helpful than the people we call our closest friends. Their work sounds nobel and uplifting.

Doesn't all of this this say something about the quality of our friendships more than anything? Just a thought I had......what do you say?

CharityLiz said...

Definitiely. I think the "Life Coach" craze seems really telling of a society that is becoming more self-centered and less relational....basically, independence and drive for success is the focus for Americans...not necessarily relationships. BUT people are still realizing they can't do it all alone--so instead of friends, they're going to life coaches for assistance.
One of my goals as a life coach would be to "coach" people to establish friendships where they could get genuine coaching a long with the benefits of full friendship.

janai said...

Charity, I think that you make a GREAT life coach. I also agree with the foresaid comments. I also think that people these days are more willing to take constructive criticism from someone that they're paying (because they think that this means that they know more) than from a friend..... lame! but true.